Mexican Refried Beans
Discover this Mexican inspired refried beans, served with nachos…
- 400 gms Pinto Beans (cooked)
- 100 gms Onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 nos. Red Chilli
- 4 sprigs Coriander
- Salt to taste
- Rinse beans, place beans in a large pot and fill with water (approximately 7 cups.).
- Bring beans to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer for 2 hours.
- If the water level gets low, replace with more boiling hot water.
- When beans are extremely soft, prepare a large skillet by heating drippings or lard over medium heat.
- Cook the onions, garlic and chillies until browned.
- Using a slotted spoon, add in about ½ cup of beans and mash with the back of spoon or mashing utensil
- If the mixture seems thick, add about a tablespoon of the cooking liquid from the beans.
- Continue to add beans and mash them together, adding liquid as necessary.
- Remove chillies and discard.
- Add garlic powder and salt to taste.