Kerala Style Vegetable Stew
Salads are great summer food and there are so many ways to shake them up…
- 100 gms Potato
- 100 gms Carrot
- 50 gms French Beans
- 3 tbsp Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Ginger (grated)
- 2 nos Green Chilli
- 5-6 leaves Curry Leaves
- 1 nos Cinamon Stick
- 3 pods Small green Cardamon
- 2 nos Cloves
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 4 tbsp Cashewnut paste
- Heat oil or ghee in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add Oil, cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon and sauté for a few seconds. Add sliced onions, grated ginger and green chilies and sauté. Do not brown them.
- Add the diced carrots, French beans and salt. Sauté for 4 mints. Add ½ cup water and cover and cook for 6 mints.
- Add the coconut milk and continue to cook on low-medium flame till the vegetables are almost cooked. Mash a few potato cubes to thicken the gravy.
- Adjust salt, crushed black peppercorns, cashew nut paste, and thick coconut milk and curry leaves. Simmer without lid for 3-4 mints and turn off flame.
- Add Jeera and grind them, combine with curd and water into a smooth batter.
- Mix all the ingredients with salt and water to a thick consistency. Keep in a warm place to ferment (6 hours to overnight).
- Dilute batter with little water till it stays thick yet spreads evenly on tawa.
- Heat tawa. Ladle the batter and spread it into a circle using the back of the ladle or a large spoon. Gently grease batter with oil on the edges and the middle.
- Cook each side till the crust crackles and becomes golden. Serve immediately. Best eaten hot and crispy right off the tawa.
- Serve with your choice of filling.